Wednesday, May 28, 2008

shut down

Many of us forget to turn off our computers after we use them but, just like turning off the lights when we leave a room or unplugging appliances that aren't being used, you should make turning off the comp second-nature! It's a very simple task that helps conserve energy, helping Mother Earth, and you can save a few bucks down the line through your energy bills!

I've been really good about shutting off my laptop, or putting it on standby, along with unplugging it when I am done fiddling around on the internets. My work computer on the other hand? I admit I sometimes leave it on because I sometimes log on to my work comp from home to finish a few things now and then. I know, I know! Leave work at home! Which I should keep telling myself so that I can also turn the work computer off when I leave. And co-workers, if you're reading this, I know many of you are guilty of this, too!

So everyone, turn off your work computers when you leave and do the same with your home computers.

And, as an added bonus...

My good friend, Jason Kaminsky (along with his group @ Stanford University) have started a group/project called TOT for tots. TOT (a.k.a Turn Off Tool) is a program you can download to your PC that helps remind you to turn off your computer when you're done using it! They have specially created this tool for kids so that they can learn the value of turning off the computer early on!

Just visit www.turnofftool.com and download the program. Once installed,
simply click the picture of the sleeping moon and the computer hibernates or shuts down. See? Easy peasy.

Get 'em while they're young, I say! But really, it's important to get kids excited, informed, and interested about green living at an early age, and now with many kids using computers early on this simple add-on should be a no-brainer!


0 comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio